Full marks 20 x 2 = 40
Answer all the questions:
2. ”Fair as a star when only one / Is shining in the sky.” – Bring out the significance of the comparison.
3. How will Nature be both “law and impulse” to Lucy?
4. “How soon my Lucy’s race was run”. Give the meaning of this line.
5. “A slumber did my spirit seal”. – What is meant by ‘slumber’ here? What was its impact on the mind of the poet?
6. “ ‘O Mercy!’ to myself I cried.” – How would you account for such an emotional outburst?
7. “What fond and wayward thoughts will slide / Into a lover’s head!”—What thought is referred to here? Why is it called “fond and wayward”?
10. What is a ‘dirge’? Why is the West Wind called the “dirge of the dying year?
12. Give the meanings of the phrasal verbs:
i. Hold over……………..
ii. Lay by ……………………….
iii. Make away………………..
iv. Come of……………………….
i) He likes people to call him ‘sir’.
ii) Honey tastes sweet.
iii) Rice sells cheap.
iv) He hoped to win the match.
v) One should keep one’s promise.
17. Explain the expression “love’s sad satiety”.
19. Rewrite the following sentence correctly and explain the reason: The Career Coaching and Counseling Centre of this college offers many opportunities, like meeting knowledgeable persons, reading useful books and obtain information about public careers.
20. Suppose a student of class vi stammers while reading English, but while reading Bengali he does not. Now how will you guide him to pronounce English correctly?